Yesterday, I had the best lunch as inspired by “Ensalada Mista” which we enjoyed daily while on vacation in Italy. They always used three types of lettuce: butter (bibb), radicchio and arugula, which are really different and tasty. The butter lettuce is soft and subtle, the arugula is kind of peppery and the radicchio adds a nice crunch that reminds me of cabbage, although a little more bitter. This became my new favorite salad combination!
I made my salad with butter, radicchio and arugula, then added small sliced carrots, radishes, cucumbers and green onions (the last 3 came from my friend’s garden so they were very fresh). Then I added some roasted chicken, a hard-boiled egg, homemade Garlic Parmesan Croutons and Thai Peanut Dressing. My Homemade Crouton recipe is here and also includes a quick stove-top method, for those hot summer months. This lunch met all of my meal requirements: delicious, healthy and filling. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Thai Chicken Salad
- Roasted chicken
- Lettuce (any kind you prefer)
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Carrots, shredded or chopped
- Green onions, chopped
- Hardboiled egg
- Thai Peanut Dressing
- Other optional ingredients: cilantro, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, bean sprouts
Just throw it all together and enjoy with the Thai Peanut dressing (recipe follows)!
Thai Peanut Dressing
- 2 T peanut butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 T rice vinegar
- 1 T lime juice
- Squeeze of Agave Nectar
- Salt & pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over salad either cold or warmed in the microwave for 15 seconds. Delicious!
- I get 2 heads of butter lettuce at Costco for $3.29 . At the grocery store, it costs $2.99 for one small head and is not nearly as fresh and nice.
- The radicchio is pretty expensive per pound, but the heads are small and end up only being $1-2 each. And, they last awhile because you only need a little bit to mix in with your salad.
- You can also use store-bought croutons but check those ingredients and choose a brand with the most healthy ingredients!